Ok SO I’ve been resisting this clothing trend for about a year now, but it seems that it is here to stay for the time being so I might as well come to grips with this information. I present to you, loyal SST readers, the latest thing to come to a closet near you: dressing like an 70’s track star.
I know, I know.
Think Bruce Jenner in his prime and add some effortless glamour, and that’s what this trend is all about. It’s comfortable, it’s a little sexy, and it’s pretty cool. See some of my favorite track-inspired pieces below.
All of these items are either from J.Crew or Topshop, my usual haunts. But because trying out a new trend can be risky, you must follow two rules: 1) NEVER spend a lot of money on a trendy item and 2) Always try it out safely by purchasing the trendy item from a brand you trust and normally wear. This will guarantee it is good quality and a good fit, and will also allow you to ease into the trend. Nothing worse than waking up one day and decide you are going to dress exclusively like 70’s Bruce Jenner and buy your clothes only from American Apparel from now on.
1. Striped Sweatshirt: This is a great top that is both comfy and stylish. Stripes are also very in this season. I feel like they are always in, but WWD told me they were specifically in this season so whatever. $56.
2. Skinny Twill Sweatpant: Very on-trend pants in navy or white and they look very comfortable. I always recommend that when wearing something looser on the bottom — like these pants or the red ones described below — you balance it out with a form-fitting top. I use this rule of fashion thumb a lot, with the exception of dressing for work. Work-dressing is in its own category, much like my
addiction penchant to malbec. $41.99 with the code SHOPFORFALL.
3. Pinstripe Bomber Jacket: Oh this thing is just too cute. Perfect for the fall with a pair of boyfriend skinny jeans, this jacket makes a great Bruce Jenner statement pre-his Kardashian days. $104.99 with extra 25% off code SHOPFORFALL.
4. Felt Baseball Cap: Baseball caps aren’t just for the dugout anymore. I think that women wearing baseball caps as a fashion statement was the biggest problem I had initially with the track trend. I really love the cute pants and bomber jackets, but the baseball hat + skinny jeans on a girl’s night out just seemed too strange to me. But, for those of you who feel confident and sassy enough to try this out — look at you! so proud — this felt cap is really cute and a decent price. $40.
5. Crepe Lounge Pant: I LOVE these pants, especially in the uber-bright belvedere red color. Seems like red pants shouldn’t be named after vodka, but who am I to judge. These would be great for work and a night out on the town — for work I’m thinking paired with a tailored white button down tucked in, and for a fun dinner they’d be great with a blouse-y silk top. They are also extra 25% off right now with the code SHOPFORFALL — $73.50.
So, what do you think? I’m kinda digging it. SST will always keep you on track with the latest trends.