My dad is a fabulous chef. He always cooked while I was growing up, but since I have flown the coop and he and my mom have embraced the empty-nest syndrome wholeheartedly, he has really come in to his own with respect to his culinary creativity and seasoned expertise. Pun intended.
To me, there is nothing more that says summer than spending a balmy evening at my parent’s house, the sun setting behind the pine trees, the day’s muggy warmth lingering in the air, and the mouthwatering aroma coming from Dad’s grill, hanging over us like a thick fog. And now I’m hungry. Something as simple as Dad’s barbecued chicken can actually make a grown man cry, drool and beg for more all at the same time. Dad always gets a huge kick out of grilling chicken more than his other grilling specialties because his recipe makes “the neighbors jealous tonight!” I am picturing him now exclaiming those words, and it just tickles me… He’ll grin from ear to ear after he says it, clutching a vodka drink stiffer than a high-starched collar. Apples don’t fall too far from the tree.
The next time you are in town, let’s go over to my parent’s house for my dad’s cooking. You won’t regret it.
In conjunction with this poignant grilling segment, Williams-Sonoma is having some great sales you should know about for all of your grilling accessory needs. Some of these Wilson and I have, some of them I want. I’m looking at you, quesadilla grill basket!
1. This pizza pan screams party party party. $21.
2. A clean grill is a happy grill. I think. Use this to go all Molly Maid on your grill. $11.
3. We received this grill pan as a wedding gift and I’ve used it several times — $49. It’s perfect for when it’s raining or if you don’t feel like dealing with the grill because it cuts into your happy hour. Thanks Brooksie!
4. Managing the temperature on a grill can be very tricky and this thermometer will help you hone your grilling skillz. $7.
5. Another one of my favorite wedding presents! This griddle is great for grilling asparagus, onions and mushrooms — Wilson and I use it all the time, particularly when we are feeling fancy but want to put forth minimal effort. Which is often. $28.
6. Another thing I want, and only $10! Quesadillas on the grill sounds nothing short of dank.
Get inspired, get outside and get grillin’ peeps! Because right now, you can grill for cheap.